Gangju Lotus Pond was originally Gangju Base. According to Jinyangji, Ha Ryun(1347-1416) recorded on the Records of Chokseongnu "In the fall of 1379, Bae Geukryeom(1355-1392) camped there and ordered his men to build Chokseongseong Castle with stone but Japanese army took it before they finished building", which shows it is the military base in the end of the Goryeo Dynasty (1379), as the place of origin of today’s Jinju Castle.
There is no information on when the Gangju Lotus Pond was formed but the 500~600 year old trees are covering its bank and the Finge Trees around the pond are told to be imported from China, rating the pond area as an important place in Jinju history. The pond bank is covered with old trees and flowers fully blooming in summer and attracting many tourists and students . Especially, it is loved by citizens as a place that provides education, a resting area and natural setting ever since it was re-constructed as an ecological park in 2004.