Jinjuseong Castle(area 1,760m2, stone castle) is a sacred ground of Jinju in which history and culture of Jinju are well integrated. Originally it had been a mud castle. But it was rebuilt with stones against frequent invasion of sea marauders in the 5th year of King Woo, Goryeo Dynasty(1379). During the Japanese invasion of Korea in 1592, the General Gim, Si-min won a victory at this castle, which was one of three great victories in the war. And the next year(1593), in the second Jinjuseong Battle, about 70,000 militia corps and government troops resisted to the last to die for their country gloriously.
This castle was used for the provincial office of Gyeongsangnam-do from 1895 to 1925. From 1969, the first Jinjuseong Restoration Project was started. In 1972, Chokseongmun was completed, and in 1975, fortress repair was finished. From 1979, the second Restoration Project was conducted. Removal of 751 private houses was promoted and was completed in 1984. In 1992, as the third project, outer wall of castle was improved.
There are many historical relics on this site such as Jinju National Museum, Jinjuseong Imjindaecheop Gyesasunuidan Altar, Changnyeolsa Temple, and Hoguksa Temple.